At 22 Bree Street in Cape Town, you’ll find a hole-in-the-wall breakfast and lunch spot with something of a cult following. The General Store‘s innovative salads are wildly popular – think Moroccan-spiced carrot and butternut with homemade za’atar spice, or broccoli, mange tout and radish with crème fraîche, chilli and pomegranate – but here at Eat Out, we also have a soft spot for the sweet treats. We asked The General Store owner Colette Robert (AKA The General) to share the recipe for her magnificent carrot cake. You’re welcome!
For the icing: 350g cream cheese
zest of 2 lemons
1.5 cups sifted icing sugar
1. Whisk the eggs with the sunflower oil, vanilla and castor sugar.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarb, cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
3. Fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture.
4. Stir in the grated carrot, walnuts and pineapple.
5. Pour into a tin and bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 180°C
6. Then leave to cool.
7. For the icing, beat the cream cheese with the lemon zest, then slowly beat in the icing sugar.
8. Ice once the cake has cooled.