1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Place all the ingredients for the braising liquid in a cast iron pot and submerge the short-rib in the liquid. Bake the short-rib, covered, for about 3 hours or until the meat is tender and falling off the bone.
3. Remove the short-rib from the braising liquid and cover to keep warm. Drain the fat from the braising liquid and pour into a saucepan with the ingredients for the basting sauce. Bring to the boil and reduce the liquid until only 1½ cups remain.
4. Strain the liquid and pour over the short ribs. Bake for 10 minutes, until the short ribs are heated through and glazed.
5. Make the slaw by tossing all the ingredients together.
6. Serve the sticky ribs with the coconut-and-cabbage slaw.
Serve with a glass of Nederburg's The Brew Master, a Bordeaux-style blend that commemorates brew master and tea specialist Johann Graue, who revolutionised winemaking in South Africa. Dark, intense red in colour, this full-bodied wine is full of juicy fruit flavours, with aromas of dark fruit, blackcurrant, mulberry, dark chocolate, mocha, cigar box, and a hint of vanilla spice.
Click here for more delicious recipes and news from Nederburg.