Protecting your privacy is extremely important to us. This notice will help you understand the purposes for which we collect, store and use your information. We will keep your information confidential.
1. What is the notice about?
This notice explains how we collect and use information. It forms part of our contract with you.
When you download and interact with the EatOut mobile application (the App) we obtain information about you. We want you to understand who you are sharing your information with, what kind of information we collect and how we use it.
From time to time we may have to amend this notice to accommodate changes in our services, or if legal requirements change.
2. What information do we collect and why?
We collect information when you create a profile, when you post reviews and when you use the booking platform. We use it to provide our services. We use your exact geographic location to make recommendations in your area if you give us consent to do it.
When you create a profile on the App we collect personal information directly from you, including:
- Your name
- Contact details such as email address and telephone number
- Your location (with your permission)
- Your primary dining city
- Your username and password
We determine your precise geographic location, but only if you gave us your consent to use this information. We use the precise geographic location to recommend restaurants in your area and to confirm whether you showed up for a booking. If you don’t consent to this information being used, you will not have access to proximity-based restaurant recommendations or the booking platform.
We use this information to provide our restaurant listing and booking platform services. We will use this information to communicate with you, recommend restaurants in your area, send you newsletters and updates if you asked us to and to provide support.
When you use the booking platform we collect your current and historical booking details. We do not collect any subsequent correspondence which you may have with the restaurant.
We also collect certain information automatically when you use the App, including:
- Your device operating system
- Access time
- Other data about your device
- Search terms you entered on the app
- Advertisements you clicked on
We use this information to improve the App functionality and our service.
3. Who are you sharing your information with?
You share it with us, the restaurants you book with and other guests when you post reviews.
You are sharing your information with EatOut, a division of New Media Publishing (Pty) Ltd.
We share your information with the restaurants you interact with on the booking platform to facilitate the booking. We use a third-party payment gateway to process deposit payments.
When you post a restaurant review your username will be published with it. All ratings and reviews are available to anyone using the App.
We share your information with our service providers only if they have agreed to protect it. Some of our service providers are situated overseas and we may share your personal information with them.
Sometimes we need to disclose your information to a third party if:
- We believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with applicable law, legal process or a government request
- To enforce our contracts and policies
- To protect the security and integrity of the App
- To protect ourselves, guests and the public from illegal activity
- To respond to an emergency which we believe in good faith requires us to disclose information
If we go through a corporate sale, merger, reorganisation, dissolution or similar event, your information may be part of the assets transferred or shared in connection with the due diligence for that transaction. Any acquirer or successor of EatOut or New Media Publishing (Pty) Ltd may continue to use the information as we have in terms of this notice.
4. Your rights and preferences
You have a right to access, update and delete your information. You can unsubscribe from marketing communication at any time.
You have the right to:
- Ask what personal information we have about you
- Ask what information was sent to our suppliers, service providers or any other third party
- Ask us to update, correct or delete any out-of-date or incorrect information we hold about you
- Unsubscribe from any direct marketing communications we may send you
- Object to the processing of your personal information.
It can take up to 21 days to respond to your request.
You can request access to the information we hold about you or correct your information by contacting email@example.com or by doing it yourself on the App.
We may ask you to prove your identity before we process your request.
5. How do we secure your information?
We have implemented security safeguards to protect your information, but we cannot guarantee 100% security.
We have implemented reasonable security safeguards to protect your information.
But no system is perfect, and no service is 100% secure. So while we will do everything reasonably necessary to secure the information we cannot guarantee that unauthorised access, hacking, loss of information or a data breach will not take place.
Please let us know right away if you think that your profile has been compromised. For instructions for changing your password click here.
6. How to reach us?
New Media Publishing (Pty) LtdNew Media House
19 Bree Street
Telephone: +27 (021) 417 1111