South Africa’s shining culinary talents were honoured at the 2016 Eat Out Mercedes-Benz Restaurant Awards on Sunday, 20 November. The Grand Arena at Grand West in Cape Town was transformed into a luxurious secret garden for the Sunday lunch of the year.
1. The Test Kitchen (Woodstock, Cape Town)
2. La Colombe (Constantia, Cape Town)
3. The Restaurant at Waterkloof (Somerset West)
4. The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Français (Franschhoek)
5. Restaurant Mosaic at The Orient (Elandsfontein, Pretoria)
6. Overture (Stellenbosch)
7. Greenhouse at The Cellars-Hohenort (Constantia, Cape Town)
8. The Kitchen at Maison (Franschhoek)
9. Foliage (Franschhoek)
10. Camphors at Vergelegen (Somerset West)
In addition to the Top 10 restaurants, we also honoured some stellar restaurants and individuals with special awards. Stay tuned for more about each winner in the coming week.
Eat Out S.Pellegrino & Acqua Panna Chef of the Year: Gregory Czarnecki of The Restaurant at Waterkloof
Eat Out Nespresso Service Excellence Award: La Colombe
Eat Out Nederburg Rising Star: Angelo Scirocco of Urbanologi
Eat Out Retail Capital New Restaurant of the Year: Foxcroft
Eat Out Wine Service Award: Tinashe Nyamudoka of The Test Kitchen
Eat Out Lannice Snyman Lifetime Achievement Award: Peter Veldsman
Eat Out Boschendal Style Award: Marble
Eat Out John Psillos Award for Outstanding Contribution to Service: Jennifer Hugé of La Colombe
Eat Out Woolworths Sustainability Award: The Table at De Meye
Woolworths TASTE Eat Out Bursary winner: Ayanda Matomela
Click here for more information on the judging for each of the awards.
Click here to see videos of 5 plates at each of the 20 of the nominees.
Follow @Eat_Out on Twitter and search #EatOutAwards for all the awards excitement. Visit Eat Out’s Instagram page @eatoutguide and Facebook page www.facebook.com/EatOutMag for photographs of the awards celebration.