The Bungalow Restaurant is Paul Kovenskys latest venture and is housed at one of Cape Towns best locations. With a new modish interior and excellent food and wine menu, The Bungalow is a far cry from the beach bar of days gone by.
Frank van Velzen
Been here 2 years ago and it was good . When we came in today it was absurd busy with a lot of people.Started now with oysters and one of them was completely necrotic and smelling like a dead body . Excuse of the owner : oyster is not rotten but a bit ripe.... and I have eaten a lot of oysters but this one was really rotten. Can happen but be honest! After that a seafood platter that was average but very high priced..
No excuses for the inconvenience , that is all what we wanted . We ended up with a sky high bill and an experience not worth the fantastic south african cuisine and products .
With so many fantastic restaurants in Cape Town I will never return here.
What a fraud of a place where you have to pay R55.00 for a small Stella Artois.
It used to be such a lovely place but the new owner really screwed it up.
Thanks for that. I guess it's all about money.. but what goes around comes around,
Won't visit the bungalow again.
Had great service
There is a reason why I NEVER go to this place and NEVER recommend it - several reasons. When friends from the UK said they had booked dinner there I swallowed my admonishment and joined them reluctantly. Well, as expected the service and food was absolutely shocking.
As a regular foodie based in Cape Town, I resent that this place calls themselves a restaurant. The location means they can lure unexpecting tourists, charge EXORBITANT prices, and get away with sub-standard food and services that is an unacceptable example for our hospitable country. Read and take note:
- they do not serve their burgers after 7pm at an attempt for you to spend your money on overly priced 'main meals'
- they were out of starter prawns (which I had researched were the only worthy starter to order)
- the starter Caprese salad was minuscule at R190 - disgusting fraud!
- As other reviews attest, the calamari was underwhelming and covered in cajun spice
- The sushi was pathetically made, had no taste or texture (despite asking for the crunchy prawn version) and was definitely not made to order/fresh (despite the presence of the sushi chefs at the bar behind us)
- The fries were cold, the chicken breast pallid and unappetizing, the steaks were palatable at most.
- The service was slow and haphazard - the dishes came out at whim, whilst others waited for their cocktails, cutlery was missing, waiters at no time asked how our drinks were or if we needed more, and the manager was rude at my complaint by trying to make a scene infront of my table guests when I asked specifically that he don't.
PLEASE read the reviews, don't be lured by the location - it DOES NOT justify the abysmal and shocking excuse for South African food and service.
The Bungalow is a prime spot with soooo much potential - there must be someone who can turn this place around and into a gem??!!
Went there last week for lunch. View and location are great, waiters are friendly. I had the Tuna burger and ended up with seafood poisoning. For this to happen at an establishment like The Bungalow is pathetic. Go there for the drinks and the view but stay away from the food.