Still feeling flush after payday and looking for somewhere to wine and dine with friends? This list of the most-viewed venues over the past month should give you plenty of ideas. (It was compiled using statistics of the most-viewed restaurant listings on eatout.co.za in May 2016.)
1. Starbucks (Rosebank)
The international brand’s new entry into our market is giving local coffee shops a run for their money.
3. EB Social Kitchen and Bar (Hyde Park)
This beautiful restaurant is situated in a bookshop with a view.
4. Sheds@1Fox (Fordsburg)
Historic warehouses refurbished into a thriving marketplace of artisanal food and flowing drinks.
5. Life Grand Café (Mall of Africa)
The opening of the Mall of Africa was big news at the end of April.
6. PRON (Linden)
Owner Emma Chen serves amazing noodles and hand-break bread.
7. Krispy Kreme (Sandton)
Doughnuts, doughnuts, doughnuts. Need we say more?
8. The Grand (Rivonia)
The strip club with the great buffet.
9. EAT Fine Dining (Northcliff)
Philippe Wagenfuhrer’s restaurant is getting great reviews for perfect balance of flavour, good wine, excellent service and the personal touch.
10. DW Eleven-13
Marthinus Ferreira’s fine-dining restaurant is a regular contender for the Top 10.
1. Afro-boer (Die Wilgers)
Four words: brie braaibroodjie for brunch.
2. La Terrasse Rooftop Café and Deli (Menlo Park)
Pretoria’s great weather makes this rooftop restaurant a popular choice for those wanting something a little different.
3. Restaurant Mosaic at The Orient (Elandsfontein)
This Top 10 stalwart is famous for absolute luxury, attention to detail, and phenomenal food and wine.
4. Hinterland Vleishandelaar (Waterkloof)
It’s all about the meat here.
5. Life Grand Café (Hazelwood)
Fans love the fairy lights around the trees and the varied menu with great focaccio, fish and chips and fish pie.
6. Kream (Brooklyn)
Elegant fine dining in the capital.
7. The Barn Restaurant at Irene Dairy Farm (Centurion)
This little piece of country idyll is great for young kids to explore.
8. Tuscan BBQ Restaurant (Groenkloof)
Eat all you can at this buffet restaurant with 120 international dishes.
9. Burger Bistro (Hazelwood)
Gourmet burgers like you’ve never tasted before. Their Elvis burger boasts peanut butter sauce and bacon.
10. Black Bamboo (Ashley Gardens)
This innovative fine-dining restaurant offers a unique experience in the city.
1. Fourteen on Chartwell (Umhlanga)
Gastropub fare includes the noteworthy cider-soaked mussels, barbecue pulled pork jaffles, or pie of the day.
2. Jaipur Palace (Durban Central)
A curry buffet restaurant with all the trimmings.
3. Mamma Luciana’s (Glenashley)
The alfresco dining area is popular for Italian cuisine with a view over the Indian Ocean.
4. Old Town Italy (Umhlanga)
Reminiscent of an old-world market, this eatery and deli offerings everything from delicious pasta to sandwiches, coffee and incredible gelato.
5. The Glenwood Restaurant (Glenwood)
Headed up by master baker Adam Robinson of the Glenwood Bakery, this
6. Boiler Room Café (Morningside)
These guys are keeping the Durbs crowds pleased with pop-up dinners and a new food truck.
7. Lingela at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani (Snell Parade)
A hotel buffet restaurant with curries, grills, seafood and all the trimmings.
8. Papparoti (Westwood)
Their signature is a butter-filled coffee-flavoured roll in a crispy shell. We’re on board.
9. Surf Riders Food Shack (Addington Beach)
Kick off your shoes at this beachfront eatery for a taste of honest chow like burgers and pizzas.
10. S43 Home to That Brewing Co. (Berea)
Street food and tapas, washed down with ales brewed on site. What’s not to love?
1. Mulberry & Prince (City Bowl)
This beautifully turned out New-York-inspired eatery is the cool new kid on the Cape Town block.
2. The Deckhouse Crab Shack & BBQ (Tamboerskloof)
If you like battered and fried shellfish, this is the ticket.
3. The Test Kitchen (Woodstock)
It seems our number one restaurant for the fourth consecutive year is still keeping people interested.
5. Downtown Ramen (City Bowl)
If you like the dive-bar vibe, visit with friends for drinks, glossy ramen and tasty miso-aubergine bao.
6. The Village Idiot (City Bowl)
A hip bar for crowd-pleasing ribs and interesting beers.
7. Locanda at Villa 47 (City Bowl)
This street-side restaurant is popular for good breakfasts and business lunches. No expense is spared – they even have a cheese and charcuterie room.
8. Hoghouse Brewing Company (Ndabeni)
Readers love the sublime pork ribs and great service at this busy barbecue spot.
9. The Pot Luck Club (Woodstock)
This new entry to the Top 10 serves inspired tapas and cocktails in a beautifully cool venue high up in the Old Biscuit Mill. Get your bookings in now!
10. Live Bait (Muizenberg)
Great views and fresh fish – what more could you ask for in this part of town?
1. Hudsons The Burger Joint (Stellenbosch)
Burgers, beers and onion rings are justifiably popular at this student hot spot.
2. The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Français (Franschhoek)
You haven’t eaten in South Africa until you have eaten Margot Janse’s food at LQF.
3. Jordan Restaurant (Stellenbosch)
Chef George Jardine never fails to impress with his accessible and ever-delicious cuisine at this beautiful Top 10 spot.
4. Terroir (Stellenbosch)
Chef Michael Broughton’s signature prawn risotto receives regular and high praise at this popular fine dining spot.
5. Restaurant Jardine (Stellenbosch)
You’ve hit the fine-dining jackpot here with affordable and delicious food by George Jardine.
6. The Hickory Shack (Elgin)
In the tradition of Texas barbecue this smokehouse boasts wood-burning fires and blue smoke.
7. The Thirsty Scarecrow (Stellenbosch)
Overlooking the Mooiberge Strawberry Farm, this vibey spot is popular for after-work drinks with easy-going buddies. The chilli poppers, Hollandse Bitterballen and beer-battered fish and chips are big hits.
8. Towerbosch Earth Kitchen (Stellenbosch) Former winner of our Best Country-Style Award, this is a great spot for comforting cuisine like roasts and all the traditional trimmings.
9. Delaire Graff Restaurant (Stellenbosch)
Breathtaking surroundings and wonderful food are the drawcards at this estate restaurant.
10. Overture (Stellenbosch)
Bertus Basson’s restaurant is ever-popular for South African cuisine with a twist.
Did you dine out during May? Write a review now and you could influence who wins this year’s Eat Out Mercedes-Benz Best Everyday Eateries. Also, for each review you post, Eat Out will pledge a meal for a hungry child through Stop Hunger Now.