Been tasked with producing the star of the Christmas meal this year? You’re in luck – not only do you have a range of Woolies’ foolproof, ready-to-cook gammon goodness to choose from, we’ve also got you covered with these top tips.
1. Our favourite ham hack: Poach summer stone fruit with sugar, apple juice and star anise until the fruit is tender and the liquid deliciously sticky. Place fruit around your roasted gammon, drizzle with poaching liquid – and devour! Watch and learn…
2. Or, go the traditional route and poach a ready-to-cook gammon with peppercorns, bay leaves, carrots, celery, cloves and onion.
3. Poach gammon for 30 minutes per 500 grams – this reduces roasting time and adds succulence. (Tip: poach in ginger beer instead of water for a bit of a twist.)
4. Once gammon is poached, remove the skin to reveal that lovely fatty layer beneath. Carefully slice from one side of the gammon to the other, using quick, short strokes to help peel the skin up and away from the fat.
5. Score the fat with a sharp knife slicing across the surface in parallel lines. Do the same in the opposite direction to make diamond shapes. Drizzle over your glaze.
6. Roast the scored and glazed gammon for 20-30 minutes at 200°C until golden and sticky. Baste with glaze.
Get every kind of gammon your ham-loving heart desires at Woolies.