1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp chilli flakes
2 crushed cloves garlic
2 free-range eggs
¾ cup milk
2 crumbled rounds of feta
2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
Sundried tomato pesto
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Cut the butternut into bite-sized chunks.
- Toss the butternut with olive oil, chilli flakes and garlic, season to taste and
- roast for 25 minutes. Remove and set
- aside to cool.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together before mixing with the butternut and feta.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold the mixture together. Don’t over-mix the dough, or you’ll end up with dense, heavy muffins.
- Grease a muffin pan and spoon the mixture into the cups. Bake for 20 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Serve the muffins warm with lots of butter, sundried tomato pesto and fresh basil leaves.
Tip: The butternut can be substituted with roasted red peppers, you can add a handful of chopped parsley or baby spinach, or swap the feta for cheddar or goat’s cheese.
Recipe by Hannah Lewry. First published in City Press.