Grub & Vine by Matt Manning is the main restaurant area which serves refined bistro-style fare, in a relaxed, contemporary space. Boasting not one but two dining rooms; The Green Room is the second, relaxed dining area which is aptly named for its greenery inspired decor and serves high-end snacks with local wines by the glass.
I’ve eaten at Grub & Vine probably 6 times since it opened, it always manages to transfer me back to the days of perfectly executed Michelin Star quality cooking, which is a given really, as Matt has cut his cloth with the likes of formidable Masterchef the Professionals Judge and 2 Michelin Star Chef Marcus Wareing.
If you can make time to eat out on a Sunday, he also serves the best Sunday roast in town.
5 stars from me.
My wife and I recently moved to the western Cape from Lambertsbaai and we decided to sign up to eat out and learn a little about the local restaurant scene as we’ve only eaten at the Top restaurants when visiting, those including The Test Kitchen, Wolfgat, La Colombe and the Chefs Warehouse collection.
So... myself, the wife and two friends recently ate at Chef Manning’s restaurant Grub & Vine last Saturday.
Simple flavors, elegantly presented, in an extremely relaxing and comfortable environment. Wine list is okay, service was well above average and we had a wonderful evening.
If that’s the normal standard there, we’ll become regulars!
Visiting another Bree Street recommendation tonight! Very exciting.
Had an amazing time enjoying the vibe of town combined with some of the most incredible food in the cbd and a great wine selection. Fantastic idea for intimate couple dates.
Had an amazing time enjoying the vibe of town combined with some of the most incredible food in the cbd and a great wine selection. Fantastic idea for intimate couple dates
To say our evening was an abysmal disaster is being kind. We had one of the most disappointing dining experience that I've had in ages. And here is a summary of everything that went wrong:
- service was incredibly slow
- the main course arrived ice cold
- 4 of the 5 patrons received their varied dishes. The waiter brought the 5th meal - 'pork belly' which we never ordered. The waiter was insistant that this is what was ordered. The 5th person is a vegetarian so there is no plausible way she would have ordered this. The maitre d then came to the table and told us that we had ordered the pork. Again we told him that we had not. It is the poorest level of service to insist the client made the mistake!
- 3 of the guests had already finished eating, the 5th meal arrived
- all 4 meals that had been served thus far were served with raw potatoes. 2 meals were eaten without the potatoes (because by this time we were starving) ; 2 meals were sent back. One meal replaced the potatoes with veg but the other meal never came back. After having to ask 3 times where the meal was and much arguing, a meal was eventually brought to the table. By this time, everyone was long finished eating
- all meals were average at best. Nothing amazing or pretty. Just plain, average tasting food
- the first glass of sparkling wine had no bubbles. The 2nd glass came from a new bottle and had bubbles
- the restaurant has no airflow and was incredibly hot. The manager reluctantly agreed to putting the aircon on. It however became hotter and hotter until we realised it was on 27 degrees, heat mode
- we raised the matters with the manager as they occurred and he said he would ask the owner, who was upstairs to come and speak to us. He never came.
We had opted for the 2 course menu and so did not plan on having dessert. The manager gave us 2 desserts as 'compensation' for what when wrong. Although we appreciate the gesture, this certainly does not fix the disaster we experienced. If we consider the cost per head, the volume of errors (absolute basics that they could get right) and the lack of taking ownership for the problems we leave feeling as if we have been ripped off blindly from our hard earned money.
I really hope they get their act together because this place won't last long if they don't step up.