“A few years ago I would’ve turned my nose up at this burger and told you that I don’t eat fruit with meat,” says award-winning blogger, recipe developer and food stylist Alida Ryder. “But my palate has matured a bit since then and I appreciate the effect sweet and savoury flavours have on each other. Pork and apples is just one of those classic, delicious combinations.”
With these burgers the apple is used as a subtle flavouring more than a partner to the pork and its sweetness is just noticeable. Alida likes to serve them with caramelised onions or thinly sliced apples, sliced camembert and fresh rocket.
1. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the pork patties.
2. Mix well and to taste for seasoning. Fry a teaspoon of the mixture in a large, heavy-based frying pan to test. Adjust seasoning accordingly.
3. Shape the mixture into four patties and refrigerate for 20 minutes. (If you cover them with cling wrap, you can leave them overnight.)
4. Fry the patties until golden on both sides and cooked through. Alternatively you can bake them on a baking sheet for 10–15 minutes.
5. Serve the patties on toasted bread rolls with rocket, caramelised onions and slices of camembert.
Recipe, styling and photography by Alida Ryder.
This recipe originally appeared in Simple & Delicious: Recipes from the Heart by Alida Ryder (R190, published by Penguin Books South Africa). Also available in Afrikaans as Heerlik & Maklik Hartskos.