You will, of course, have your own very important and legitimate reasons to buy a bee sting pastry at Rosa’s Bakery in Cape Town, but these were mine:
1. My breakfast cereal didn’t contain enough custard, butter or icing sugar.
2. It was pastry weather. Other kinds of pastry weather include – but are not limited to – cloudy, sunny, hot, cool, warm, windy, rainy etc.
3. I was feeling virtuous after collecting my organic locally grown veggies from Harvest of Hope (an organisation that supports urban gardening and farmer development) at the Birds Café drop-off point, and decided to offset my self-righteousness.
4. Rosa’s bee stings are always plentifully piped with yellow custard.
5. The custard has my favourite fake-vanilla flavour. (Also present in beloved white chocolate and those old-school wafer biscuits.)
6. I’m a grown-up and can do what I want.