1. In a medium-sized saucepan on medium heat, add the oil and onion and cook until light brown.
2. Add the powdered and whole spices and stir well.
3. Rinse the meat and dry well with paper towels. Add to the saucepan and coat with the spices and salt.
4. Add the ginger and garlic and simmer for 10 minutes while stirring.
5. Add the tomato and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
6. Lower the heat. Add the cabbage and water and cook, partially covered, for about 40 minutes or until the meat is tender. Add more water, a little at a time, if needed. Check the seasoning.
7. Add the curry leaves, mix through and garnish with coriander.
This recipe originally appeared in Curry: Stories & Recipes Across South Africa by Ishay Govender-Ypma. Republished with the kind permission of Human & Rousseau. Available at good book stores for R395.